- Joint Pain - taken orally, Basil reduced joint swelling by up to 73% within 24 hours
- Arthritis - inhibits inflammatory processes
- Brain - relieves mental fatigue
Research: Basil (Ocimum basilicum)
- Oil of Basil is an aromatic nerve tonic. It clears the head, relieves intellectual fatigue, and gives the mind strength and clarity.3
- Research presented at the British Pharmaceutical Conference in Manchester, found that, when taken orally, concentrated extracts from two types of Basil - Ocimum americanum and Ocimum tenuiflorum - reduced joint swelling by up to 73 per cent within just 24 hours.
- Antibacterial activity: In a laboratory study, Ocimum basilicum var. citratum showed promising antibacterial activity against Salmonella spp., Escherichai coli O.157
- Campylobacter jejunii, and Clostridium perferingens.3
- Antimicrobial activity: Sweet Basil has been studied for its antimicrobial effects in laboratory studies with good results.18,5
- Antioxidant activity: In a study of patients with chronic bronchitis, exposure to essential oils of basil caused lowering of plasma levels of dienic conjugates and ketons and activation of catalase in red cells characteristic of antioxidant effects.10
- Antiviral activity: Several laboratory studies have been conducted investigating sweet basil's antiviral activity; however, each study posits different compounds responsible for its antiviral effects.
Cytoprotective effects: Rosmarinic acid is a natural phenolic compound contained in many Lamiaceae herbs, such as Basil, that inhibits complement-dependent inflammatory processes.4
Possible Side Effects or Cautions:
Basil is safe in food amounts, and it seems to be safe in medicinal amounts by adults. In some people Basil can cause low blood sugar. If any adverse symptoms occur, stop taking and contact your physician.
Herbs have been used for centuries for their health and medicinal properties. Tinctures are far more potent and effective than capsules and inhaling is one of the fastest, most efficient ways to absorb a substance into your body. These blends can be added to your favorite e-liquid or beverage.
Each of the single herb tinctures are from legally grown herbs, carefully processed so that the active ingredients are kept intact. Please read the information carefully, consult your doctor and make your own informed choice. If you experience any adverse symptoms, stop immediately and consult your health provider!
http://www.nature.com/nrd/journal/v6/n1/abs/nrd2153.html - Nature Reviews Drug Discovery 6, 67-74 (January 2007) | doi:10.1038/nrd2153